See the 2019 Corvette ZR1 Set Pace
For the 2018 Indianapolis 500, the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 will be the official Pace Car that leads drivers across the line. This is the 15th time a Corvette has served as the official Pace Car since 1978 and looking as far back as 1948, this is the 29th time a Chevrolet has led the pack. Chevrolet is honored to continue the tradition of setting standards and showcasing incredible ingenuity in performance vehicles. Watch the action on Sunday, May 27 for the iconic 102nd Indy 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil.
“Chevrolet is proud to once again pace the Indianapolis 500,” said Steve Majoros, marketing director for Cars and Crossovers. “The ZR1 is the most powerful and fastest Corvette ever made. It’s the perfect choice to pace ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.’”
No other vehicle has the honor of getting chosen as the Pace Car more often than the Corvette. This showcases this legendary supercar’s lineage of pace setting, a 2019 Corvette ZR1 and the other 14 Corvettes that have paced the 500 were on display on the front straightaway today at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. These performance-focused powerhouses are all exceptional in their own way; the 2019 ZR1 is no different. The 2019 Chevy Corvette ZR1 Pace Car will have the following features:
- LT5 Small Block 6.2L supercharged V-8 engine with 755 hp and 715 lb-ft of torque
- 8-speed 8L90 paddle-shift automatic transmission
- ZTK Performance Package featuring a stanchion-mounted adjustable carbon-fiber high rear wing, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and performance suspension
- Magnetic Selective Ride Control™
- Brembo® Carbon Ceramic brake system
- ZR1 chrome-aluminum wheels, 19-inch front and 20-inch rear
- Standard Performance Traction Management and Electronic Limited-Slip Differential
- Unique Indy 500 graphics package
- GM Design fully integrated safety strobe system
- Performance Data and Video Recorder
The Corvette ZR1 Pace Car can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 2.85 seconds and reach a top track speed of 212 mph, the fastest Corvette in history.
“Chevrolet and IMS enjoy one of the longest-running and strongest bonds in motorsports,” said J. Douglas Boles, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president. “Seeing all of the incredible Corvettes that have paced the Indianapolis 500 on the track today is an exciting reminder of the rich history of this great relationship. This year’s Pace Car, the 2019 Corvette ZR1, is an incredible, fast machine that is a perfect fit to lead the 500 field to the green flag.”
Chevrolet is pursuing its seventh consecutive IndyCar manufacturer championship this year, building on a successful 2017 season that saw 10 wins out of 17 races.
If you want to drive a car that echoes the impressive performances found at the ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,’ start shopping for your new Chevrolet Corvette today. While you won’t be able to drive exactly what you see on the track, you can find one that is equally thrilling! See our complete inventory of Chevy Corvette models now.
Images courtesy of Chevrolet Media