Ford Donates 38 Vehicles to Support Hurricane Recovery Efforts
Houston is still rebuilding after Hurricane Harvey and Ford is doing its part to lift up the community and help provide relief wherever possible. Ford Motor Company is reinforcing its commitment to the Houston community and continuing its support of ongoing recovery efforts in southeast Texas even now, nine months after the devastation caused by the hurricane. Ford is dedicated to helping those in need with new vehicles and donated 38 vehicles to eight Houston-area nonprofits to be used to enhance ongoing rebuilding efforts and serve as first responder and relief vehicles for future emergencies.
Ford employees, Houston-area Ford dealers, and local nonprofits are gathered at Houston Food Bank for a Texas Is Family community event that marked the donation of the 38 Ford vehicles to eight organizations in the state. These new Ford vehicles will be used to enhance ongoing relief efforts by delivering food, mental health and medical services, as well as items such as diapers, personal hygiene kits, bug spray, cleaning supplies, and coolers. Some vehicles will serve as first responder rescue and evacuation vehicles for future emergencies.
“Ford is the best in Texas because of our longstanding commitment to being a good neighbor, strengthening communities and helping make people’s lives better – in good times and in times of need,” said Jim Vella, president, Ford Fund, the philanthropic arm of Ford Motor Company. “We want to thank all of our employees, dealers and nonprofit partners who stepped up when the people of Houston needed them most. As another hurricane season approaches, we stand strong in our pledge to continue to help families and communities get back on their feet.”
Ford has provided a special Texas Is Family assistance bundle to more than 8,000 customers who lost or had vehicles destroyed in the disaster. This offer includes the same no-haggle, below-invoice price Ford employees and their families receive, as well as payment deferrals. More than 1,500 first responders in hurricane-affected areas have received a special $1,000 discount (in addition to all available incentives) on the purchase of a new Ford or Lincoln vehicle.
Houston is one of 26 places in the United States and Puerto Rico where Ford and its dealers have expanded their commitment to meet community needs by collaborating on programs and nonprofit outreach. The initiative, known as Operation Better World, was launched in 2008. Program outreach in Houston includes:
- Ford Driving Dreams educational program has donated 20,000 books to children in need and awarded more than $200,000 in scholarships to 100 high school students in the area over the past two years. Ford Driving Dreams is awarding another $100,000 in scholarships to a new group of 50 students – marking the third consecutive year Ford Fund and Houston-area Ford dealers are helping local students pursue their academic dreams of going to college
- In February, Ford collaborated with Congressional Black Caucus Foundation to recognize 27 community members with a Ford Freedom Unsung Heroes of Harvey award. These awards were given to individuals who went above and beyond to support the community in an extraordinary way through hurricane relief efforts
- Also in February, Ford Fund and Latin GRAMMY Foundation donated $20,000 in musical instruments to help reopen A.C. Blunt Middle School in Aransas Pass. Hurricane Harvey caused severe damage in this community, including to the school’s music program. Immediately following the hurricane, students attended school in temporary spaces; six months later, they were excited to return to their school to play music once again
- In April 2017, Ford Fund hosted more than 225 teens as well as their parents in its Driving Skills for Life program
- Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Player of the Week recognizes student athletes who excel on the field, in academics, and in community service
Overall, Ford Motor Company, Ford dealers and Ford Fund have invested more than $30 million in Texas communities since 2000.
Invest in a vehicle from a brand that invests in people. When you buy from Ford, you’re helping them continue their commitment to citizens in need. Whether that’s a new Ford truck, car, or SUV or an event to benefit the community, you can be sure that Ford is there doing its part.
See our inventory online now to start shopping for your new Ford vehicle today!
Images courtesy of Ford Media