With the holiday season upon us, many are heading out to pick up a Christmas tree and before you go read these tips to help you protect your vehicle and your family. Picking out a tree with loved ones is a time-honored tradition that can be full of fun and adventure. You can make the most of your trip by going in prepared for the cold and leaving with your tree securely tied down.
In a survey by AAA, it is estimated that 20 million Americans in the past three years did not properly secure their trees to their vehicles – which is dangerous not only for those in the car but also for other vehicles on the road. Don’t create debris on the highway this year and follow these steps as outlined by Chevrolet.
- Dress warmly, wear gloves and bring a piece of cardboard to kneel on if you’re cutting your tree down.
- If you’re transporting the tree inside your vehicle, make sure to lay down a tarp to keep your car clean. If you’re transporting the tree on top of your vehicle, make sure you have cross-rails installed so you can help avoid damaging the paint.
- Make sure the tree is tightly bound with netting or rope before tying it to the top of the vehicle.
- Place the stump end of the tree toward the front of the car to reduce aerodynamic drag and ensure a safe drive home.
- Lay your tree directly overtop the available cross rails, loop twine over and around it and repeat to cinch it with a figure-eight motion to secure your tree tightly to the vehicle. This can help protect the tree from moving around while you drive.
- If possible, use secondary roads and avoid highways when driving with your tree on top of the vehicle.
- BONUS TIP: Choose a car such as the 2018 Chevrolet Traverse with available OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot1, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto2 compatibility and 120-volt power outlet so you can take the holiday party with you wherever you travel!
Stop by today to learn more about getting accessories to make the most of your holiday season. Or give them the gift they really want: a new Chevrolet vehicle! Check out our current inventory now!
Images courtesy of Chevrolet Media